To The Mom Who Is Scared To Take The Homeschool Plunge…

Another school year is starting to wind down. It’s the time of year that parents all across the globe are starting to ponder what they will do this coming fall. The tug on your heart won’t go away. You *think* you might want to homeschool your children, but you are scared to death.

To the mom who is scared to take the homeschool plunge

What if I fail? What if I am a terrible teacher? What if they don’t learn enough? All those nagging and annoying questions start plaguing your mind. If you stop to think about it though, all of those questions are fear based questions. God doesn’t operate out of fear, he only operates out of love. So then who is it that is giving you all those thoughts? Could it be the one who is trying to hold you back from doing the greatest thing in the world for your kids?

What if….the age old question that we need to spin to a positive light! What if your children learn more than you ever thought imaginable? What if your family reaches a new level of closeness with each other and the Lord? What if homeschooling is the most amazing journey your ever decided to take?

See! Just stop and think of all the possibilities. 5 years ago I never imagined that our homeschool journey would be such an amazing part of our life. I knew in my heart it was something we were supposed to do. Sometimes, taking that plunge to begin is the hardest part. Cast the fear aside. Homeschooling, though not always easy, will be the most rewarding journey you will take. So take the plunge and dive on in. The waters great 😉

Where you scared when you first decided to homeschool? What made you overcome that fear?

Share and Enjoy

• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • Add to favorites

About Heather

I am a wife of 15 years to my best friend, mom to 6 incredible little ones, and a daughter of the King! Join me on my journey as I strive to serve the Lord with all my heart and live my life to the fullest!

15 Responses to To The Mom Who Is Scared To Take The Homeschool Plunge…

1. Angela Thayer March 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Great post, Heather! I think many are scared to take the plunge because they are afraid of failing! You are an encouragement to me!! 🙂

• Heather March 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Thank you 🙂 hope to meet up with you again soon!

2. Rebecca March 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

This – this I LOVE. Sharing truth – understanding fear can keep us from doing something – but loving on someone will help many overcome! YOU have a beautiful heart desiring to encourage others and I can NOT wait to meet you!

• Heather March 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Aww thank you so much! You bless me. Only a few short weeks and we can sit and have coffee together. Can not wait!

3. Victoria March 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

I wasn’t scared of homeschooling at all before we started – but parenting… absolutely! I was afraid of somehow ‘getting it wrong’. And maybe we still will. But the main thing I want my children to know, that they are loved unconditionally, that they have a great hope, and that they have a solid foundation and sense of who they are created to be. Hopefully in the process, they’ll learn lots of really great stuff that will hold them in good stead as adults.

4. Leah March 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I was very scared at first!! I’m really not a patient person and I’m not very organized, so I thought there was no way I could homeschool! But I felt God leading us to homeschool, I went to my husband who was very much against it. After lots of prayers God worked in his heart and we decided to “try” homeschooling for 1 year. We’re finishing up year 3 now with no end in sight. 😉 Not only has it brought our family closer, it has brought us all much closer to God! Our 8 year old is one of the most mature christian children (or christian period…) that I have ever known, she loves the Lord so much and people regularly comment on her spirituality!! I know that would have been stifled if she were in school. And I can’t even begin to tell you how much homeschooling has improved my OWN spiritual life!! I used to feel like my spiritual life was lacking and I couldn’t figure it out. I feel closer to the Lord than I ever have in my life, and as the days go by it gets better and better, it is wonderful. 🙂 I truly believe that my spiritual life has improved as a direct result of homeschooling. I felt God calling us to it and we listened to that call. Since then it seems easier to feel God’s prompting in other areas of our life. Nothing is better than following God’s lead!

5. Heather Kallimani March 16, 2013 at 4:27 am #

Thank you for this post! Sometimes I forget who’s putting that doubt in my mind. I’m going to be homeschooling my kids this next year and am so excited but every now and then… Thanks for the reminder of how great it will be for my family!
    Heather

6. Brook March 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

I have not homeschooled yet but I am signed up with a home school sponsor for next year. I have been wanting to homeschool my children for years. I had all the fears you mentioned plus I have health issues. I originally planned to go ahead and put her in public school and just volunteer as much as possible so I could still be close to my child and help out the school at the same time when ever I was feeling well. I volunteered so much they actually had me fill in as TA one day when the kinder teacher got sick and there was no subs available. Then one day they started to out cast me. The principal decided I knew too much private information. The teachers started asking to only come twice a week and staff were blatantly whispering loud for me to hear stuff. It was the needing to cut the umbilical cord one that got me. That and the PTA staff went out of there way to not call me for ideas and ignored my raised hand to call on people who did not even have there hands up for ideas. It was real obvious. I brushed it off as I have the problem and stopped coming to the school and kept my daughter in.
    My daughter started having issues at school too from her special needs. She was learning more at home with a program I signed up for her to summer school her. I also had great strides in my health from a change of diet. I had several people who attempted homeschooling in my church. Some did well, others gave up because of health issues. It was the ones that gave up that inspired me because her kids were FINE! They were still alive and did just fine back in public school after half a school year of travel with grandparents while there mom was dysfunctional. I thought if they can do it, So can I. I can try it for 1 year and even if I fail my child will be fine. Then I can say I tried instead of regretting that I did not try it all. It was also a talk on Regret in my church that pushed me it covered spending as much time with our kids as we can because time is short. How better to do it than homeschool?

Also I would like to remind all parents that a 15 minute lesson at home takes an 90 minutes in classroom setting to teach. You have kids in all different learning stages all striving for that 1 teachers attention and care. when it seems your child is not learning anything they have learned the lessons and then some at home plus they get to have the family bonding time and feel secure and wanted. That may not feel secure or wanted at the school.

• Heather March 19, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

You will have to keep me posted on how it goes. I do not think you will fail in any way. Homeschooling does take less time and we get to spend a lot more time doing fun educational things, not just being stuck at a desk all day 🙂

7. Jennifer March 20, 2013 at 12:22 am #

The way I see it a loving parent can not do any worse then a public school.

8. Michelle F. April 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Wow, what an inspiration you are!! I have finally taken the plunge and pulling 1 of my children out of school tomorrow. I bought the books for her today. I am very scared, but looking at it the way you said made me feel a whole lot better! I am very excited now, like I have been, but a different excitment…one without fear, because I know that this is where God wants us to be right now. My daughter is not thriving in school and they want to hold her back next year….I thank you from the bottom of my heart for you post!! God is so good all the time!! I know now that my daughter will be fine and I won’t fail!! I would rather try then regret!

9. Mylka June 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

I don’t homeschool but have been thinking about it for a while now. I don’t know where to start. My son is 7 and a high functioning autistic. He’s enrolled in public school but it’s more the absences from teacher than the classes he takes. He also has therapy (occupational, physical, speech and psychological). My fear is that I will do more harm than good due to his condition but with how things are in the public school system it has become more and more appealing.

10. Rachel August 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I came across this post when I googled “scared to homeschool” – ha! – and I am so glad this popped up.

I really feel like God has placed homeschooling on my heart. I know we would all LOVE it and grow so much (even on the hard days that are sure to come). There are just some hurdles to overcome before it’s possible. Hopefully sooner than later. 🙂

Your blog is precious. I’ll definitely be checking in from time to time.

• Heather August 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

I am so glad that you found me. I will be praying for things to come together for your family. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with!

11. Sandy October 3, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

INDEED, I was TERRIFIED to homeschool, but it became a necessity. There is so much to consider, all of those “What if” questions do run around in your head relentlessly until one day you realize you’re homeschooling and it’s going alright. I don’t know if it will help others overcome their fear of homeschooling, but the book Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling with Insider Information addresses a LOT of the fears that stop us from starting. If I had knew what I know now a decade ago, I would have started homeschooling a LOT sooner!! It has blessed our family in so many unexpected ways. 😉