Housework Is A Ministry!

Do you ever look around your house, see the mess, and wonder… Why do I even bother? Believe me when I say, that I have said those exact words about a dozen times in the last week. I schedule a detail clean day each week. Usually, this is on Saturdays. I spend the entire morning deep cleaning the house. My version of deep cleaning includes every room in the house, floors, dusting, glass, bathrooms bleached, fresh sheets for everyone and getting all of the laundry caught up. I usually finish up this task right about the time its time to start dinner, and my husband to be home from work. I go to bed on Saturday night feeling like a perfect little housewife with everyone snuggled into their fresh sheets.

Then Sunday morning happens and reality quickly sets in. The laundry hampers are nearly full, dishes are all in the kitchen, Legos are in the floor, toothpaste is splattered on the mirror.  Sigh! I suddenly start to feel unappreciated and angry. Why do I even bother? Obviously no one cares about my hard work around here!

I know I am not the only mom who feels this way. It is easy to get caught up in all of that, but when we keep our focus on the bigger picture of life, we can keep our attitudes at bay.

Instead of being disgruntled about laundry, thank God you have children who are well enough to play outside. Be thankful you have a sink full of dishes because, it means that you had food to eat.

Start looking at your housework as a ministry instead of the dreaded chores. Being a homeschool mom IS a ministry. We are called to teach our children. We are raising strong men and women in the Lord. We are spending hours of our days caring for future leaders and ministers of the gospel.

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

Colossians 3:23

Sometimes we get discouraged and that is understandable. But, when we start doing our household duties unto the Lord, our hearts can be content even when things aren’t in perfect order. We can be thankful we have the opportunity to minister to our family.

Share and Enjoy

• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • Add to favorites

About Heather

I am a wife of 15 years to my best friend, mom to 6 incredible little ones, and a daughter of the King! Join me on my journey as I strive to serve the Lord with all my heart and live my life to the fullest!

9 Responses to Housework Is A Ministry!

1. Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies September 22, 2012 at 8:55 am #

These are good insights for me this morning. I have stretched out my morning sit with coffee and computer, knowing that I have a to-do list a mile long. (Not really relishing the idea, either!) So, time to finish the last swig of coffee and get down to the work set before me.

• Heather September 22, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Today is my detail clean day….I have sat with my coffee long enough. Time to crank up some Jesus Culture and hop to it 🙂 I hope you accomplish everything on your list, and have a blessed day!

• Jaime Huffman October 2, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Thank you so much for this. I am in tears reading and knowing how ungrateful I can get. I thank God that he put it on your heart to post this for me and many other women that will read this. Thank you.

2. jennifer hall March 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you. I really needed to hear this today.

3. Alison Wood March 7, 2013 at 7:25 am #

This is encouraging for a mom with six kiddos in the house:) Sunday mornings are the worst as we hurry to dress and prepare our house for church services. IT is busy and I am often greeted with unmade beds and laundry after church. Like you, I went to bed with a clean house, but in one hour it can be destroyed! Thanks for helping me focus on the good things! We did have good food to eat and my healthy children did run outside and play today..I won’t mentioned I had to change my two-year old son’s clothes three times;0)

I’m new follower:)

Visiting from Pint-sized Treasures

• Heather March 7, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thanks for following. Our Sundays are the exact same way. So glad that you were blessed 🙂

4. Jen March 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Thank you for this post! I said those exact words many times this week as well. I had become grouchy and just down right mean! Up until December I was a full-time college student, wife, and homeschool mom. I just did what I needed to do to make sure the house was presentable. Now I’m struggling with finding my groove when it comes to homemaking again. It seemed that while I was in college my family pitched in more around the house to help. Now i feel so overwhelmed.

Thank you SO much for this post. You have given me so much to pray about.

• Heather March 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

It can be so hard to find your groove. I still don’t think I really have mine 😉 I have learned to just take it in stride though. I try not to be overwhelmed.{with 6 of us though it can happen pretty easily} I am more laid back about things now than I used to be. It makes for a much more peaceful home. Thank you and I will be praying you find that peaceful place!

5. Tiffany Moreno June 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm #